How to make garam masala

August 28, 2014

Ready powdered spices reign supreme in my kitchen. But for that extra special moment, a cheap coffee grinder doubles up as the spice grinder of my dreams.

Cheap equals value here, as grinder blades eventually dull. The best of the best are the ones with removeable bowls, for easy clean up. I confess now that I hate pestle and mortars: hard work and not worth the rough specks of spices that fly everywhere.

Garam masala is one of the most special spice mixes to make at home. Blindingly fragrant made fresh, it lifts the simplest of dishes with a sprinkle towards the end of cooking. In fact, adding it too early can turn the dish a tad bitter.

The actual spices that go in vary from household to household. I keep mine simple with 4 cardamoms, 8 black peppers, 8 cloves, 2 small bay leaves, 1 inch cinnamon and 1 tsp cumin. All whole, of course. You can add coriander seeds, dry dinger and even nutmeg to make yours as you like it.

My new video shows you how to make garam masala. How do you like yours?

Comments

19 Responses to “Cooking with Madhur Jaffrey”

1. Ann Says:

November 28th, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Mallika, this is so AWESOME!!! Congratulations — you look so calm, organized and glamorous and this dish has me nearly licking the screen!

2. IshitaUnblogged Says:

November 29th, 2012 at 3:26 am

Great going Mallika – this is absolutely amazing. You looked gorgeous all the while as you cooked the Kasha Mangsho and the Moong Daal. The Kasha Mangsho looked absolutely amazing. It must be quite an experience to have an encounter with someone like Madhur Jaffrey. Would also like to read more on that:)

3. Rinku Bhattacharya Says:

November 29th, 2012 at 4:02 am

Nice, Looking very cool and collected and totally in control of your culinary universe.

4. Mona Mehta Says:

November 29th, 2012 at 4:57 am

Mallika!! You did great! Congratulations! Madhur Jafferey looked elegant as ever :)

5. arundati Says:

November 29th, 2012 at 6:03 am

Wow! Congratulations Mallika~ you were made for TV girl, everything looks so efficient and smooth and the kids are adorable!

6. kalpana balaji Says:

November 29th, 2012 at 7:46 am

Congratulations! How exciting! And great to see the kids and the new kitchen and everything!

7. Camille Says:

November 29th, 2012 at 10:58 am

Fantastic job! Everything looks great, and how exciting to meet Madhur Jaffrey!

8. indosungod Says:

November 29th, 2012 at 11:50 am

Wonderful Mallika. Congratulations!

I love the fact that the kiddies are eating the curry and it shows that they love it. They are adorable!!

9. BongMom Says:

November 29th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Congrats Mallika. Loved the gorgeous kiddos, muaaah to them to handle this with so much ease.
    Of course you, the dish and the new kitchen were as lovely

10. Laurie MacBride, Eye on Environment Says:

November 29th, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Wonderful! Amazing to watch two of my cooking idols together in one kitchen. You were marvelous, well done!

11. Mallika Says:

November 29th, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Thanks SO much ladies. The kids were so well behaved you would think they were always like that!!

12. ritika Says:

November 30th, 2012 at 7:22 am

wow, everything was lovely. it exuded deliciousness and warmth. you and the kids were absolutely gorgeous and so was the kitchen. the moong dal recipe with just some rice thrown in would be lovely as a kichudi too :)

13. Sonata Says:

November 30th, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Exactly as I’d pictured you in your kitchen . Congratulations !

14. poornima Says:

December 2nd, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Congratulations. You look so sweet as do your gorgeous kids. I have tried so many of your recipes with great success.Wishing you all the best.And thanks for the easy yet delicious recipes.

15. Amy Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I am so, so jealous of your kitchen! I gather my daughter’s childminder has been giving her some very mild curries so I think it’s time I ramped up her “education” in spices now! x

16. Glenda Says:

December 30th, 2012 at 11:36 am

Love your website, now your kids add to the beautiful ambieance of the cooking. Not too mention how slim you are after cooking all this yummy food.
    God Bless

17. Sudeshna Says:

March 5th, 2013 at 12:48 am

Oh my God, I just saw the video, and you were great.
    PS: I’m jealous of your kitchen now :)

18. Dal aur Sabzi – Lentil Kale Soup in the Pakistani Manner — Silk Route food memoir by Shayma Saadat – The Spice Spoon Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 3:46 pm

[…] onions, so I omitted them. I used homemade garlic paste I had frozen in ice cube trays (bless you, Miss Masala, for this wonderful tip in your cooking session with Madhur Jaffrey – you all should do it, too) […]

19. Curry favour with Meat on the bone - Quick Indian Cooking Says:

January 16th, 2015 at 3:21 pm

[…] with bones, in ginger and whole spices from Madhur Jaffrey’s Curry Nation cookbook (which I featured in). The recipe in the book uses a fantastic Kashmiri spice paste Basaar in it by Yasmien Bagh Ali, […]

20. amateur dating Says:

February 22nd, 2015 at 3:44 am

Generally I do not learn post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to check out and do it!
    Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, quite
    great post.